Posted on November 23rd, 2012 by pajamapress
What would a Don’t Laugh at Giraffe party be without some colourful cupcakes? We’ve got the perfect tutorial for kid-tested, bird-approved cupcake fun.
You will need:
A batch of your favourite cupcakes
2 C icing sugar
1 Tbs margarine or softened butter
A small amount of milk
Food colouring to make yellow, blue, green, and orange
A mixing bowl
Four small containers
Two piping bags
(Alternate: use plastic bags with the corners cut off to pipe icing)
To make the icing:
- Mix the margarine or butter with 1.5 C of the icing sugar.
- Gradually add very small amounts of milk until the icing is smooth and spreadable.
- If the icing becomes too runny, add more icing sugar.
- Separate the icing into the four small containers, leaving a little behind in the bowl. Note that you will need more in the yellow and green bowls and less in the orange and blue bowls.
- Stir food colouring into each container one drop at a time until the icing reaches the desired vibrancy.
- You may choose to make the blue and white icing slightly runnier than the other colours, since it will be piped rather than spread.
- Spoon the white and blue icing into piping bags.
To decorate the cupcakes: